Saturday, February 21, 2015
On 15 June 1936, the order was given to develop an armoured vehicle for infantry support, mounting a gun of at least 7.5cm calibre. The gun was required to have a minimum of 25° traverse, and to be mounted in the hull, eliminating the requirement for a turret, which could result in a vehicle not exceeding the height of an average man. The experimental (0-serie) series consisted of five Pz Kpfw III Ausf B chassis (Chassis Nos 90216-90220), upon which were mounted the soft steel superstructures containing the fixed 7.5cm StuK. After the successful testing of these prototypes, the 1 Serie Ausf A went into production in January 1940.